My research is focused on the study of sponges and their associated microorganisms. It covers different topics within the field of sponge microbial ecology with a special emphasis on symbiotic interactions, bioerosion in coral reefs and calcareous rocky bottoms, and the effect of ocean warming and ocean acidification in such benthic communities.
• Biology and ecology of benthic invertebrates, sponges in particular
• Microbiome and functional ecology of symbionts
• Ontogeny of symbiotic microbial communities
• Recognition, establishment and evolution of symbiotic associations
• Climate change and its effects on communities with bioeroding sponges